Step by Step
MacBook Pro: Bottom case foot replacement DIY instructions
This article details the do it yourself (DIY) repair process for installing feet and plugs for MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) and MacBook Pro computers that exhibit missing or damaged bottom case feet.
A MacBook Pro covered by the Apple Limited Warranty or by an AppleCare Protection Plan may receive a replacement foot without charge. A MacBook Pro that is out-of-warranty may have a charge associated with the replacement. The DIY replacement kit not available for MacBook Pro with Retina display computers.
Notes: For consumers, who are covered by consumer protection laws or regulations in their country of purchase or, if different, their country of residence, the benefits conferred by Apple’s One Year Limited Warranty or by an AppleCare Protection Plan are in addition to all rights and remedies conveyed by such consumer protection laws and regulations, including but not limited to these additional rights.
You may choose between three options to receive a replacement bottom case foot:
- Visit an Apple Retail Store. Set up an appointment with a Genius.
- Visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Find one here.
- Order a bottom case foot replacement DIY kit. Contact Apple to order.
DIY Foot Replacement Instructions
Note: Use the foot replacement kit for missing feet only. Do not replace well-adhered feet. Removing feet for the sake of replacement can damage the bottom case.
Tools Needed to Complete Repair:
- Phillips 00 screwdriver
- Paper clip or safety pin
Gloves are not necessary for this procedure.
Before you begin, check the foot location requiring replacement and verify that the case plug, and the case foot in the kit, match the pictures below.
Foot area on bottom case Matching component Outer bottom case
Outer foot Inner bottom case Inner plug Inner plug cover
Warning: The glue used in this procedure can bond instantly to skin. Do not touch the glue. In the event of contact, review the safety instructions at the end of this document. For additional information, refer to the glue manufacturer:
Rocky Hill, CT. 06067
Note: Do not use any other type of glue except the one included in the foot replacement kit. Fumes from other types of glue could affect other internal components.
- Place the computer upside down on a clean, lint-free cloth or other nonabrasive surface. Remove the bottom case.
- Using the Phillips 00 screwdriver, remove the bottom case by removing 10 screws. Important: Screws at sides and front must be removed and installed at an angle.
- Gently pull the bottom case from the side the display hinges are on and lift upwards at an angle.
- Make sure the foot area on the bottom case is clean and free of debris. If any portion of the foot adhesive remains, peel it up with a pair of tweezers.
- Clean both sides of the bottom case around the foot area. Allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Peel the outer foot from its packaging and affix it firmly to the bottom case. Do not use the glue to adhere the outer foot to the bottom case. Avoid touching the adhesive backing.
- Use a paperclip or safety pin to open the glue nozzle. A paperclip or safety pin can also unplug the glue nozzle after storage. Apply a very small drop of glue on the bottom of the foot on the inner bottom case. Do not spread the glue.
- Seat the plug onto the glued area.
- Do not use your finger to press the foot plug down. Use the wooden end of a cotton swab to press the foot plug into place. Lightly press and hold the foot in place for 30 seconds.
- Clean any excess glue with a cotton dry swab. Important: Do not wipe the glue; use the cotton dry swab to absorb any excess glue. Excess puddled glue may take hours to dry and may cause the bottom case to adhere to the logic board or interior cabling.
- Using a timer, allow the glue to set for at least 60 minutes before applying the foot plug cover over the foot plug. Important: If laser etching is visible by the foot area, do not use the foot plug cover. Laser etching will normally be found on the left-rear foot area.
- Reassembly Note: Install screws in order shown. If sequence is not followed, bottom case might wobble when placed on level surface.
SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS: GLUE IS AN EYE AND SKIN IRRITANT. GLUE BONDS TO SKIN INSTANTLY.
Contains ethyl cyanoacrylate. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. If eye or mouth contact occurs, hold eyelid or mouth open and rinse thoroughly but gently with water only for 15 minutes and GET MEDICAL ATTENTION. Liquid glue will sting eye temporarily. Solidified glue may irritate eye like a grain of sand and should be treated by an eye doctor.
If skin bonding occurs, soak in acetone-based nail polish remover or warm soapy water and carefully peel or roll skin apart (do not pull). Contact through clothing may cause skin burn. If spilled on clothing, flush with cold water. Avoid prolonged breathing of vapors. use with adequate ventilation. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.Last Modified: